Tuesday, June 23, 2015

What I Now Know About My Audience

    Good Grief! What a motley crowd we have here. First of all, this whole "know your audience" was a new concept. Kind of mind blowing. You mean I am not just writing to myself? I am not just writing this because it is what I WANT to write? I guess I need to remember I am not trying to change or improve my writing to fit into some tiny bubble that is my audience, but to write in a way that will grab and hold my audience by knowing them as individuals and improving my writing to get them involved emotionally. Ok, rereading that sentence it sounds fluffy, but it is what I want to say.
    Looking at all the responses to the "Know Your Audience" questions, I am impressed with what a bunch of level headed individuals we seem to be. Many with strong family foundations and some without any it seems. Sometimes the answers left me all like "seriously?" "really?". Surprising. Come on Ms. A, I want to know your favorite jam. If I found out my instructor is rocking out to some eighties hair band on her way to work, I would feel better. Or even some Beach Boys, The Eagles, Pink Floyd. Humanize this woman who hold my first meaningful grade in over a decade in her hands. I see her sitting there, mad scientist hair, wild eyes, rubbing her hands together as she prepares to grade my papers, letting out an evil laughing cackle.
    Over all learning more about this group of English 101 students and knowing them as my audience has been helpful. Mostly in knowing they are people, just like me, who like indulgent food, and have loved ones they miss, things they would change, places they would go. This exercise was indeed fun, and I do understand now why audience is important, why they matter. So, Mission Accomplished Ms. A!
 

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I can so relate to this. I really like the humor in this post. I sat here and laughed because I have had many of these same thoughts. I love your description of Ms. A sitting there. I can only imagine what she's doing reading mine. I don't feel as out of place as I thought I would when starting this first online class. Although we are all individuals, we all have our similarities and our differences, but overall we are all still very much the same having many of the same goals.I totally agree that this exercise was fun and it has also made me more aware of why audience is important. I second the motion, Misson Accomplished Ms. A. Still smiling.

    ReplyDelete