Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Baby Draft

    I was going through this weeks reading assignments, and one stood out, "Shitty First Drafts" by Anne Lamott from Ms. A's Classroom eAnthology. It taught me I have a mind of a bratty child and I don't know how to edit it out of my writing. I want to write down my thoughts. Ok. I want them to make sense. Good. I want those who read what I write to get it, like really get it. I want them to sense my eye rolls and smirks. My humor is usually a complete bust through text messages, and so it is safe to say, that it won't work out as planned on a blog.

    So, upon reading about "Shitty" drafts, I realize there is a lot more to editing and revising than what I thought. I need to figure out how to not sound..... well, I don't know? Not like me? But I want to sound like me. Even if later in this adventure as a college student I have some serious research paper to write, it would make me quite sad if I couldn't sound smart, educated, and familiar. In the things I have written so far in this class (ENG 101) I have caught myself trying to sound, well, pompous. Worst fear! Right? I want to write smart. I want to write well, but keep me in all of it. Sure, I read a lot, so I got all the fancy words I can bring out when I need the "big guns", but honestly, have I ever used the word pompous in normal conversation? But it help paint a picture right? Maybe if this was a face to face conversation I wouldn't need the "big guns" because I talk a lot with my hands, roll my eyes, and generally act overdramatic when describing things.

    Now I feel like all my drafts are cursed to be "shitty". I want to build and develop my baby drafts into functioning well mannered adult drafts, but I don't know how! Maybe I will just go reread what Anne Lamott had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment