Sunday, June 28, 2015

Friends Don't Let Friends Wear That

     I am a slacker! My mind has been on a vacation. I probably couldn't have formed actual sentences for the last three days. We went on a small, down the road vacation. As a family we enjoyed good food, lots of fishing, and swimming, and my favorite part of vacation... wait for it... people watching.
    I am more of a curious observer than a judgmental one. I often embarrass my husband by asking questions. "Wow, south Louisiana. Why don't you sound Cajun?" "Is the pick in your hair an accessory or functional?" "Did you really just fall out of a paddle boat trying to catch a duck?". All questions I really just want answers to. I am fairly sure I didn't offend anyone. I came across as humbly as I could. Just ignorant to certain "ways". Honestly, no judgment. These folks and I could be homies. I just like to know things.
    All that being said. Sometimes you can't unsee things. And sometimes clothes can be as inappropriate as being full on naked. Now, I won't go into details and it needs to be clear I am not talking about someone who was seeking out comfort. Lord knows I have had my fair share of hideous apparel in public in the name of comfort. No, this was someone, in a group, who was oblivious to what they were wearing, or at least oblivious to how they looked in it. Jaw dropping, looking around for the hidden cameras, this can not be real kind of attire.
     I am all about letting your freak flag fly people, but honestly this person needs a friend. Because friends don't let friends wear that! It's not about being mean, but being honest. Just say no, and all that. There have been plenty of times someone has looked at me and said "uh, no". And I listened and was thankful. I googled, this was not a cultural fashion thing. This was just for entertainment, because there is no way someone just looked like that. And they truly thought they were rocking it. Like a Kardashian. They weren't. God help them, they weren't.
    I love all types. All shapes and sizes. Tattoos and piercings, colors and expression make the world go round, and other than asking the occasional "did that hurt?" "what does that mean?" "is that comfortable?" live and let live. But it is about being Authentic! (see what I did there) And sometimes folks just need to be told " No, don't wear that."

No comments:

Post a Comment