Monday, July 6, 2015

Rodeo Hospitality

    The fourth of July is a big deal to bull riders, and rodeo contestants in general. They call it Cowboy Christmas and if someone really wanted to, they could stay gone for a month and hit a rodeo or bull riding everyday, or even two a day. How do I know these juicy little details? I married a bull rider a long time ago. Momma, don't let your daughters grow up to marry bull riders. Well, I do love the guy, and it hasn't been all bad. One of the great benefits of being a bull riders wife is this handy little thing they call a companion pass. It is your ticket to another wonderful and hidden gem of rodeo life called the hospitality tent, or room, or building, you get the point.
     We have traveled to more bull ridings and rodeos than I could ever count. Later in my husbands career, I admit with much shame, my support of his entering a particular rodeo had more to do with the food at the hospitality tent than anything else. It is safe to say I like food. There were other deciding factors, like Fort Worth for example. Horrible seats in the arena. With kids, and bags full of goodies to keep them entertained, it was hard to move, very cramped. But they have a hospitality room filled with food, drinks, and a kids play area with mostly clean toys. So it got my vote.
     Springdale Arkansas serves the best garlic bread at their hospitality room. And they have air conditioned bathrooms, which you can never take for granted, ever. When you have traveled overnight from Arizona in a truck with two or more children and it is the middle of summer and ninety degrees, an clean and air conditioned, private bathroom, will make you feel like royalty. Upon entering you observe all the commoners outside the fenced in "special" area waiting in line for porta potties that have been used for three days now, by thousands of sweaty rodeo fans, you lift you chin slightly and enter the pristine restroom with full length mirrors and AC. Yep, royalty.
    We have been everywhere. Hawaii, Madison Square Gardens, Anaheim. So many rodeos, good Lord, so many. The small ones in little towns that aren't easy to find often have the best hospitality. They are just glad you're there. After doing this for so long you learn how to deal with gate security who, although you have three kids in tow, still thinks you are lying, so you have to drop the hand held video games and diaper bag, dig through your purse for a tiny little companion pass to show that you are in fact suppose to be in there, and you are not some crazed buckle bunny fan looking for a cowboy to call her own. No, sorry dude, got one already, that is the only reason I am here. That said, I was never I buckle bunny! My man found me.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post. You added a hint of funny behind your writing, and I that's what hooked me. At first I was just skimming through your blog page and then I saw this post and it caught my eye. I can relate to your post a tad bit. I never dated a bull rider, but a bull rider was once my best friend. Where he went, I went and it only stopped when he quit the circuit due to a back injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post. You added a hint of funny behind your writing, and I that's what hooked me. At first I was just skimming through your blog page and then I saw this post and it caught my eye. I can relate to your post a tad bit. I never dated a bull rider, but a bull rider was once my best friend. Where he went, I went and it only stopped when he quit the circuit due to a back injury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    I LOVE this post. My dad was raised in the Pan Handle of Texas on a ranch. Ranching was what his family had done for generations. Dad knows what a real cowboy is and he passed that on to us kids. My mom barrel raced in her younger years before she and my dad got married. We had horses, mom and my sister always rode in the grand entries, parades, and even did some cattle penning. I went to grade school with a kid in Exeter, actually consider him still a good friend whose family was really into riding the bull circuit and evidently now he's starting to make quite a name for himself...His name is Mason Lowe. Anyway, REALLY enjoyed this post.

    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    It sounds pretty interesting being a bull rider's wife. I do love great food so I think that would be a deciding factor for me too. I think the biggest challenge would be keeping the kids entertained. I tend to be a little protective and rodeos are so busy. We have been to a couple as a family and the are a lot of fun but I am sure it is much different watching one when you know a rider. How exciting and scary at the same time. Fun post!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete