Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Poor Baby Draft

    In a previous post I mentioned how I was pretty sure I couldn't edit. That my drafts could never reach maturity and would be forced stay baby drafts forever. I was wrong. I killed my baby draft. Butchered it. This whole revision stuff is isn't as hard as I thought. In fact I am a revising son of a gun. My baby draft has been marked through, scratched out, and the one line I might actually keep is underlined.
     The assignment to workshop the writing group was not helpful. My writing group is AWOL, and I only have one other member. It was hard to get much out of her response because she totally didn't follow directions. Nine questions ( I think ), with a response to each regarding the other person essay. I got a small paragraph, that was just saying that my essay was crap. I couldn't get passed her disregard for the instructions. It made all her critique and criticism void. I agree wholeheartedly, my essay is crap. A big part of me wants to change my creed and everything, start from scratch. That would be easier.
    I had the words last night. I got up to pee ( well, it is true ) and I had what I wanted to say in my essay right there in my head. But I went back to bed, and the words are gone now. Somewhere I remember reading that it is a normal thing to kill your first draft. Literally, there will be no resemblance to the baby draft I once had, but it was crap after all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica, Don't be so discouraged. I see what you've been writing on here every day...it's not crap. I'm going through the same thing. Writing is not my thing, but I know I need to get through this...and we will. Just relax, take a deep breath...it will come. And I hope that you will post it to your blog when you are done. I would love to read it. Hang in there girl!

    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I do the exact thing, while I'm at work, in the shower, using the bathroom I think about what I'm going to write, have it all worked out and then as soon as I sit down to actually do the writing I forget.

    ReplyDelete